Advertisement

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Bank asks for investment to open a safe deposit locker - Complain through the BCSBI for remedy.


Recently I faced a lot of pain, when visited a leading private bank in India. I am banking with them for last 6  years. And generally share a good relationship with them. But still when approaching them to open a safe deposit locker for me, they first of all told that all the lockers are occupied. And after that, I followed up several times for last 6 months. After few such visits, they told me I can have one locker if I am ready to invest in lump sum to a insurance product. And I know that, I really do not need and want to invest in such a product. So, I was unable to get a locker.

I think many of us face this particular problem or may be similar issues when banking with some of the leading banks. What could be the remedy? Is there any rights for the banking customers ? Is there any code of banking conducts for different services offered to the customer? I was wondering for couple of months. And then one fine morning I came to know something about BCSBI (Banking Code & Standards Board of India).

This organization has strong directive & appealing mechanism which works seamlessly for the consumers. You can visit the site of BCSBI and get the customer commitment document enforced on the banks. In this directive all the different services (starting from A/C opening to safe deposit lockers and Insurance selling) rules and bank's commitment to provide correct information on services to the customers' is written specifically. So, no bank can officially deny their responsibility. If you feel you are neglected or compromised in any banks (specially private banks) in India, you can check this hand book (Hand book is available in all regional languages and English as well.). And follow up on any complaints in the following order -
1) Try to figure out is there any online grievance addressal mechanism available in the bank's website / net banking facility. If it is there, you can directly put your complaints / query over there mentioning BCSBI guidelines. Do not forget to mention, that the bank is compromising with BCSBI guidelines which should not be.

2) If you are not able to figure out such online grievance addressal system, then try to figure out who is the Nodal regional officer for the BCSBI grievance for that bank. You can either figure it out with website or directly visiting that bank's branch. As per BCSBI guidelines, the name of this nodal officer should be printed and showcased prominently with in the branch. You can send your detailed grievance in the nodal officer's mail id.

3) I think, with these steps your grievance should get a good look and fair trial. If not the case, then you can go to the higher level. But you need at least wait for 30 days to get communicated from the bank's nodal officer.

4) If 30 days are over, you can approach to banking ombudsman for fair trial of the same issue. Directive on how to submit a complain to the banking ombudsman is clearly mentioned in the BCSBI site.
The BCSBI site detail is - http://www.bcsbi.org.in/

And for your information, my grievance was adequately addressed when I lodged a query through this channel  and I was satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment